

BA Committee Meeting

Tuesday 5 June 2018

BA Rooms, 7pm

Present:

Thomas Gaff, Stephen Bayley, Hans Yu, Poonah Nazari Lukas Gast, Isabel Vallina-Garcia, Reece Oosterbeek, Christophe Kehle, Annalise Higgins, Jake Glidden

Apologies: Steffi, Parwana

1. BA Society Garden Party

The committee discussed food and entertainments.

a) Catering (food, beverages)

It will happen in the Fellows Garden. Logistically more challenging. Maybe ask catering if they are able to help transport things.

We need to ask for tables from Works. We need to think about how we want to get all the stuff there.

The whole committee will be required to help. Catering Officer will organise food.

b) Entertainments

Call for ideas. Need to organise: musician, lawn games, polaroid camera.

c) Invitations

Will be delivered by Secretary and Liason officers.

d) Rota

Will circulate.

2. Freshers' Week

Largely planned by the previous committee. We get to do the following one.

There was a meeting with the Dean on Saturday. Schedule has been finalised. Needs to get approved and set budget.

There will be a rota. We'll be in charge of specific events & duties. Organising and running. Be prepared. We start on the 26th (Wednesday).

a) Events during international arrivals – clash between non-alcoholic events and pub night

Not helpful to have clashing events.
Pub most popular on Friday.
What about Pub Wed, not Pub Thurs, pub Fri?

b) Graduate welcome dinner

The Dean has proposed that the Graduate Welcome Dinner go dry. What does the committee think?

The committee considers this an important point for discussion. Will discuss with the Dean further at the Liaison committee.

c) Rota

It's coming

d) Stash

We need a sweater. Preferably with zip. Will circulate ideas.

3. Easter Term events

a) Cardboard boat race

IVG: Not this Saturday but the following. What happens here is you make a boat – cardboard – race – sink them.

We need someone to lead this. Be in charge.

Steffi has done it before and will give tips but cannot run it. Should we convert to just watching?

b) Wicken Fen Wild Camping

Open it up to post-docs, perhaps? JRFs?

c) Ice cream tasting

Will be on the backs. Tonnes of icecream.

d) Book club

Who will run it now?

RO: Might be one of those that gets taken on by a different person each year. I will do it.

4. Summer events

IVG: Brainstorm. Cater for all tastes. Spread them around. Steffi and Lukas have ideas.

How does this interlink with welfare events?

Last summer mostly a welfare initiative.

We will select events. Distribute accordingly. Usually less active in summer. Opinions?

How many events should we aim to have? BA dinner per week in July. Stop for August and September.

Maybe one trip outside Cambridge? Proms? Shakespeare festival. Something a bit more special. Spreadsheet. Time. Event. Budget.

To summarise – alpacas, proms, Shakespeare, Wren, picnic, crashball, collective sports, cycling trips. Add them on a spreadsheet. Dates, costs.

Before we move on – welfare events. Low key after May Week maybe. Is it ok if they're not at the start of each month?

Yes, two closer together is fine.

a) Calendar of committee travel over summer

We'll circulate a spreadsheet.

b) Rota

Will be circulated.

c) Event ideas / planning sheet

LG: I made one.

ARH: We will edit it to make it work for us.

d) Welfare/casual/ non-alcoholic events

SB: One with snacks, one without.

JG: Sounds sensible.

RO: Difficult to eat snacks while finger painting.

5. Emails

IVG: We cannot pester people. Plan ahead. Discuss in slack before you send an email so we're all in the loop. Great to be proactive and have initiative – committee needs to discuss and prepare events. Please don't just email the BA Soc with the event without clearing it first.

SB: Sign up forms? Google forms.

6. Welfare

a) Workshop

We need to run one. Have had trouble. We need more ideas. Have looked at mindfulness. Reach out to the RDP?

b) Bake-off

As competitive, is it appropriate for welfare? Someone did complain last year. RO: Popular, could just be an ent.

IVG: Steve also suggested informal welfare cooking. In the future.

7. Third Ents Officer Position

Now we need to do it by appointment because we've had two elections.

Manifesto in advance and quorate vote. Need to check our availabilities. Set a date.

7. Life mural

IVG: Want BA Rooms to have personality. Something in here that reflects personality. Murals, photos, pictures. Big board that is constantly evolving, changing, paint a mural, reflects the current student body. Photos of what we've been up to. Change photos monthly.

Combine with welfare or other ents?

HY: Like the idea, but what about vandalism, bullying, etc.

IVG: If we do initiate, be clear that it needs to be respectful, but will deal with problems if they arise.

JG: Where would it go?

IVG: Think about ideas, we'll discuss on slack.

8. BA Soc Facebook account

HY: I will delete it.

9. What are the Porters' names? (Stephen)

SB: Would be nice to know their names. Put them on a board etc. IVG: How shall we go about this? Contact the head porter.

RO: suggestions of what you'd like to do with their names.

IVG: Do you want to take it on?

SB: Yes ok.

10. Meeting to plan Michaelmas events

Will be set for about a fortnight after the Garden Party.

12. AOB

a) Alcohol in BA Rooms (Hans)

Contacted catering after training. How should we handle booking the BA rooms? IVG: We need to draft an email explaining the change of policy.

HY: So I make a 'No alcohol tick box' and then put or email for more info? I will double check with Catering.

b) Reece – Treasurer business

RO: How we're running the payment process. Link online.

Discuss event & budget before spending.

For events where we're charging – keep record of name, crsid and amount you're charging.

When you're spending money keep receipts. Wave app or there's a desktop version. Upload copies of receipts.

For these things include name and what it is for. Can write it on the receipt.

For brunch – we charge £1 if we don't get cutlery. The payer gets reimbursed minus what people pay.

c) BBQ for College (Luкас)

LG – is there a BBQ facility? Could we ask College for one if not? Would be beneficial.

IVG: I don't think we do. TCSU buys stuff in. The Boat club does have one.

LG: Who is responsible for asking College where to put a BBQ?

RO: Sounds minor but in college it's a big deal. If you write a paragraph we can suggest at Liason and they can consider it.

d) Brunch

TG: Steffi and I want to make pancakes at another brunch.

d) Booking Rooms

IVG: You will learn at the induction